Saturday, July 28, 2007

To Eric, on your 40-day passing...


Dearest Eric,

As your 40 day anniversary approaches, I am in disbelief that you have been gone from our lives for so long.

I saw Gee last week and didn't quite know how to greet her, how to talk to her, how to have a conversation with her. A part of me wanted to embrace her and tell her I'm so sorry that all this has happened. The other part of me wanted to make jokes to lighten up the mood. I never figured out the "right" way.

As I approached Gee at the Cheesecake Factory, I was numb. One of my best friends was a widow now, at 36. She had lost her soulmate, her best friend. I saw a smile on her face when she saw me.

I sat down and we started talking... it was Gee, Larayne, and I. As always, we all had so much to say, so much to share with eachother. I'm sure you remember those dinners. You were so sweet, how you just sat there and listened. I'm sure you thought we were crazy- we acted like we were little high school girls. Never once did you look as if you were bored.

After about 20 minutes of catching up, I finally turned to Gee and asked her how she was honestly doing and if she was ok. She said she's ok... she's fine. She said she's ok because you aren't suffering- aren't in pain anymore. She said she saw how much you suffered your last two weeks on Earth and she was so happy that you were out of that misery and into God's loving arms. She said, had it been sudden, she would have been angry at the world, angry at God... but she's not. She is at peace. She is at peace, knowing you're with her at all times. I felt so relieved after she said this.

She is so strong and so courageous, Eric. Please ask God to give her the strength she needs to get through this hard time.

This is for your 40-day anniversary:
Dearest Eric, first and foremost... although physically you are no longer here with us, you will forever remain in our hearts. Our monthly dinners, followed by dessert and tea at the Hiroshi's are memories I will always cherish. You were the only guy that would go with us, the only one that would reply to our crazy email threads. We know you're smiling upon us from Heaven and we hope you can see just how much you are loved and missed.

Love, Nev

No comments: