Monday, August 06, 2007

What does it take?


As I looked at pictures from my nanaji's funeral, one picture stood out from the rest. My mom, mamaji, both my massi's are all hugging eachother. The only person missing is my younger mamaji. My mom and her siblings have lost touch over the years- over minor things. Some of them haven't heard eachother's voice for over 7 years. They finally reconnected after my grandfather passed. Didn't his heart ache to see his kids happy with one another? Didn't he yearn to see all of his kids before he took his last breath?

My mom hadn't seen her mom in over 4 years when she passed away. To this day, my mom has a black hole of not being able to say good bye to her mother.

This brings me to the distance my cousins have created amongst eachother. Because of past incidents, no one wants to talk to eachother. Massi's kids don't want to talk to mama's kids and vice versa. We are all we have of our extended and immediate family. Tomorrow, when we are all married and have kids, don't we want our kids to have Easter egg hunts at one house, celebrate Thanksgiving at another, and Christmas at another? Don't we want our kids to hang out, go to Macaroni Grill for their tomato soup, all of them get together and go to theme parks, the taller one picking on the shortest one?

What does it take? What will it take for all of us to come together again? I hope nothing along the lines of what caused our parents to reconnect. Think about it.

No comments: